Saturday, November 6, 2010

I Do Not Look Like A Plate of Spaghetti and Meatballs. I Do Not Look Like A Plate of Spaghetti and Meatballs.

In my misspent youth, I used to be an enormous Mad Magazine fan. One particular cartoon has, in a sense, become my life's philosophy. I will spare you, dear reader, all of the unbelievably bizarre details, but the gist of it is that one man goes into an Italian restaurant for dinner, and, due to a preposterously unlikely -- and therefore side-splittingly funny -- sequence of events, gets into a heated argument with the staff there.

Meanwhile, another man is walking out of his psychiatrist's office. His psychiatrist gives him a little speech that goes something like the following:

"Well, Mister Fonebone, I believe our work here is complete. After years of hard work, you are now ready to face the world, secure in the knowledge that you do not look like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs! Good luck!"

Mister Fonebone, who seems rather less confident in the success of the therapy than the psychiatrist, proceeds to walk down the street, all the time nervously chanting to himself the mantra: "I do not look like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. I do not look like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs."

Back at the Italian restaurant, the patron, in his anger at the staff, grabs a plate of spaghetti and meatballs, and hurls it at the waiter.

What happens next? Of course. The waiter ducks, and the plate of spaghetti and meatballs sails past him, out the door and hits Mister Fonebone in the face.

And so the comic ends, with Mister Fonebone walking down the street, with a plate of spaghetti and meatballs plastered on his face, continuing to bravely chant his mantra:  "I do not look like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. I do not look like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs."

Why has this cartoon become my life's philosophy? Because I feel that each of us, in one sense or another, has this fear that we look like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. And we find the belief very difficult to shake, even though part of us realizes how utterly irrational and ludicrous this belief is, and that it is just our mind which has created this false belief that we look like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs.

And so, we go through life, constantly struggling to convince ourselves that in reality we indeed do not look like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. And then, just as we feel that we may have finally overcome this illogical notion -- Wham! Some bizarre event takes place, and we are hit in the face (hopefully, only metaphorically) with yet another piece of irrefutable evidence that we actually do look like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs.

19 comments:

  1. I can only say that we don't do it with an act of free will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You FOOL, I already had spaghetti with mushroom sauce!! Try to make a PIG out of me, will you!? Take THAT!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tym G, those words are music to my ears! FLADDAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell me where to find a copy of this cartoon? I have quoted it many times over the years.
    Thank you
    Gary Martin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just telling my wife today that same cartoon strip exactly as you wrote it - and I haven't seen it in close to fifty years! It came to mind when we were in an Italian restaurant and on the way to the bathroom there was a poster with the words "spaghetti and meatballs".. I laughed to myself as I went in the door, repeating "I do not look like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs". I thought I was alone. then I looked down and saw a man's legs in the stall. he didn't say anything, but I can imagine what he was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just telling my wife today that same cartoon strip exactly as you wrote it - and I haven't seen it in close to fifty years! It came to mind when we were in an Italian restaurant and on the way to the bathroom there was a poster with the words "spaghetti and meatballs".. I laughed to myself as I went in the door, repeating "I do not look like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs". I thought I was alone. then I looked down and saw a man's legs in the stall. he didn't say anything, but I can imagine what he was thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I was the only one with a fond memory of that classic Don Martin cartoon. I have been trying to find a copy of that one online for a long time, and have yet to find it. In addition to its original publication in some edition of Mad, I think it was in one of his paperbacks - either "Don Martin Drops Out" or "Don Martin Bounces Back". If anyone has it and can scan it and post it online, that would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Count me as another that is looking this up after many decades! I find it to be a very insightful idea in that,.. we can try to make the world make sense and even employ a regimen to live by so that we can feel more secure. And then,... yikes, something happens and we can either accept the new info, or expend the energy to keep the inconvenient factoid from messing with our carefully crafted reality. I think it's a brilliant sketch! (anyone know where I can locate it?).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ps: I found it! I bought *Don Martin Bounces Back* on Ebay... this particular sketch (it's called The Gourmet)is part of that paperback book, pages 191 to 214. Copyright 1963.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember that cartoon VIVIDLY, and reference it frequently in conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. tks G-d there are more of you out there. I now feel as though I am not alone. If it is Karma, maybe one day we'll all be in the same Italian restaurant watching a food fight....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually how I remember it is that in the restaurant the guy gets spaghetti and meatballs every day. But while he's distracted momentarily, the janitor stops to scratch himself and accidentally puts the mop on the guys plate. There was something gross that substitute for the meatballs and when the guy starts eating it he yells at the chef that it's the worst S&MBs he's ever had and he throws it out the door. Meanwhile the guy coming from the shrink- who actually has told him to repeat to himself "I do not look like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs" and he gets hit with the S&MBs which sticks to his face so in the last frame he does look like a plate of S&MBs as he walks down the street saying "I do not look like a plate of spaghetti and meatballs."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THat's right. I remember a cigar butt falling off the mop. And he ate it like a meatball.

      Delete
  13. Me too. I loved this one. It's my favorite Don Martin cartoon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also recall that cartoon vividly. Not sure it’s my life philosophy but it comes back to remind me over and again to reflect on how I perceive myself. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need the last frame of that strip!

    ReplyDelete