Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Dollar Found

One day, when I was in the fifth grade, I was walking home from school with two friends. I must have been walking faster than they, because they fell behind. A few minutes later, they ran up to me, out of breath, holding a dollar bill, which they assumed had fallen out of my pocket. No, I told them, I had not dropped any money. Realizing that the found money was now theirs to enjoy, with pure glee, they ran ahead to the store a couple of blocks ahead.

When I got there, I found them deep in the blissful process of deliberating what to buy with their windfall: comic books, soda, chocolate bars, gum, candy, potato chips, ice cream, etc. Quite a bit of time this process took -- no man who has ever purchased a Mercedes took his decision any more seriously than my two friends did that day, pondering whether to get Richie Rich or Superman, Smarties or Coffee Crisp, Hot Tamales or Lik-M-Aid.

When they were finally done and had made their selections, they were holding a bag or two bursting with many, many items of the above selection. All for one dollar, mind you.

1 comment: