Sunday, January 23, 2011

Jumps out of Bed at 6 in the Morning

I taught in a Jewish school in the Boston area for several years in the nineties. One of the families I became close with had a son in the high school who was on the school's basketball team. He was not very tall, but what he lacked in height, more than made up for in agility and ability.

One of the many kindnesses I received from this family was their allowing me to stay with them for a while one summer when I was between apartment leases. You certainly learn a lot from living with people! The members of this family were warm, interesting and down-to-earth. It was actually a wonderfully fun time for me. (And dare I hope for them as well?)

Anyway, early one morning, I heard someone stirring. It was the basketball athlete, lacing his running shoes. I looked at the clock and saw that it was 6 in the morning. I asked him what he was doing. He said he was getting dressed to go out and shoot some hoops in a local schoolyard. Why? Because he liked playing basketball.

Oh, did I love hearing that! To enjoy an activity so much that you enthusiastically spring out of bed at 6 in the morning on a vacation day to get busy at it. If you too, dear reader, have an interest that arouses your sense of excitement in this way, then you are blessed. And if you haven't yet discovered it, I truly wish that you do soon. Painting, skateboarding, writing, gourmet cooking, ballroom dancing, glass blowing or all of the above. Just try to not disturb the others who are still sleeping, when you get up at 6 in the morning. Although if you do by mistake, and they understand why you're up, I'm sure they'll share in your joy.

2 comments:

  1. Nu, what are your beloved hobbies that get you up at 6 am?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. First time I get to know that fact. Rising at 6am.

    Sivan (JDate)

    ReplyDelete